The Focal Easy Guide to Final Cut Pro 7. Focal Press, 2010. Click here to access a digital copy online.
HTML, XHTML, & CSS for Dummies. John Wiley & Sons, 2011. Click here to access a digital copy online.
Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 Classroom in a Book. Adobe Press, 2010. Click here to access a digital copy online.
Welcome. This is the blog for Multimedia Storytelling. If you’re registered for the Spring of 2012, you’ve found the right place. I’m your instructor, Neal Santos. Call me Neal. I don’t like formalities.
This blog will serve you well. Consider it an interactive syllabus/week by week guide to class. Check in regularly after class on updates on lectures, discussions, articles and pieces and featured guest speakers.
If at any point you get lost or confused, check here. Chances are your questions could be answered just by referring to this blog. If that doesn’t answer your question, I can be reached by e-mail at email@example.com.
Good luck on a great semester.
This course will provide students with an opportunity to experiment with new ways of telling news stories that incorporate images, sound, text and audience participation on the Web. This course is designed to help prepare students for the Journalism Capstone course, Philadelphia Neighborhoods (JOU 4196). Therefore, students will be held to the highest standards regarding the level of research reflected in their projects, the accuracy of the information they gather, their appropriate use of sources, and their ability to adhere to AP Style. By the end of the semester, students will:
- Become familiar with many of the ways in which journalists and news organizations use the Internet as a publishing platform
- Become familiar with the process of producing multimedia packages for the Web
- Understand some of the legal and ethical issues facing journalists working with digital tools in a networked environment like the Internet
- Produce an audio slideshow on a common class theme.
- Produce a Web video on a common class theme.
- Learn how to structure a Web document with XHTML and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).
- Produce an interactive photo slideshow.
- Produce a multimedia package.
- Become familiar with Adobe Dreamweaver, a Web editor
- Refamiliarize themselves with Final Cut Pro.
During our first class, we will be:
In this post, you can find important class documents that are in PDF form. You can also find these same documents under the “Class documents” tab on this blog or on blackboard.
Download the course syllabus in PDF form here.
WEEK BY WEEK GRID:
Download the week by week overview grid with assignments, class topics and project due dates in PDF form here.